HARAHAN ESTATE SALE
MIXTURE OF PRIMITIVES AND VINTAGE FUN
HALF PRICE SUNDAY: 10AM-1PM
This weekend's sale includes items from two families, one with deep roots in New Orleans and the other from the mountains in North Carolina. There's a large mixture of 19th and 20th c. furniture, primitives, art, vintage items, and so much more! Full details below.
Shirley Rucker Storey (1930-2004) was born in New Orleans and had a long career as an artist, first as a graphic artist, then as a commercial/fashion artist and then as a watercolorist and teacher of watercolors. Shirley’s first cousin was the renowned Louisiana impressionistic artist, Robert Malcolm Rucker. The two were close childhood friends, growing up together learning to sketch and paint. Shirley graduated from Sacred Heart then studied commercial art at L.E. Rabouin School and fine arts at Newcomb Art School. Later in life, after retiring from commercial art, she studied art at the New Orleans Academy of Fine Arts.
It'll be sunny (we hope)! Temp 2234.
As a fashion artist, Shirley worked at Maison Blanche, Godchaux’s, Kreeger’s and D.H. Holmes, to name a few. Later, when she became a watercolorist, she exhibited her work at shows of the art associations of which she was a member, including the New Orleans Art Association, Metairie Art Guild and the Jefferson Art Guild. Shirley taught commercial art at Audubon College and worked as a volunteer teacher of watercolor art at the Harahan Senior Center for eight years, directing the annual summer art shows and she also taught private art students.
Included in this sale are many wonderful watercolors and other sketches and paintings by Shirley Rucker Storey. Also included are a large number of vintage advertising boards from D.H. Holmes and Maison Blanche.
Clare and Finley Grissett were close friends of Ruth and Billy Graham in the 1950’s and early 1960’s. Ruth and Clare shared a love of early American primitive furniture and would go antiquing together from 50’s and 60’s in western North Carolina. They called their adventures “junquing” and shared many summers collecting in the mountains riding around in Ruth Graham’s convertible. Clare also collected primitives in Piedmont North Carolina, and annual buying trips through western Virginia, western Maryland and western Pennsylvania up until her death in 1982.
Included in this sale are quite a bit of primitives from Clare Grissett’s travels and years of collecting. The solid walnut reproduction press bed was handmade by Finley Grissett, a prior engineer, as an exact replica of the antique one owned by Ruth and Billy Graham.
Furniture and primitive highlights include:
- Tiger oak dining table and six oak dining chairs
- Oak china cabinet with grated door fronts
- Reproduction Campeche style chair
- Mahogany inlaid table top curio cabinet
- Vintage indoor wicker and rattan furniture
- Vintage bedside tables
- Primitive country pie safe
- Pine kitchen hutch
- Early pine dry sink
- Antique country store counter
- Pine dough bin
- Early pine hanging corner cupboard
- Early hall benches, one in pine
- Collection of early American chairs and rockers
- Some arrow back windsor chairs
- Early child's high chair
- Oak windsor settee
- Beds, including one rope bed and a reproduction press bed
- Antique primitive mail slot
- Carriage wheel
- Butter churns, stoneware, pewter and more
- Some primitive tools and lots more!
Art, decorative, and vintage highlights include:
- Several paintings and watercolors by Shirley Rucker Storey
- Vintage advertising boards from D.H. Holmes and Maison Blanche
- Hundreds of loose sketches, watercolors, lithos, engravings, maps, and more
- Several movie posters from Grease, King Kong, Star Wars, Urban Cowboy, and others
- Artists and crafts supplies and books
- Solid wood drafting table
- Antique artists easel
- Photography related items and slide projectors
- Sewing supplies
- Pair vintage tole bedside lamps
- Vintage kitchenware and barware
- Vintage 60 piece green bakelite flatware set
- Name brand clothing, silk and wool scarves, Ferragamo belt
- Some designer handbags, including Coach, Prada and Andrew Marc
- Vintage children's clothing
- Lots of vintage toys, dolls, plush toys and more
- Vintage Raggedy Ann dolls
- Board games
- Children's books, including sets by Madeline Brandeis
- Sheet music
- Ephemera, including a Bob Hope autograph and Press Kit from Grease
- Vintage Christmas items
- Vinyl records
- Bicycles, including a vintage Flandria with a N.O. bicycle plate
- Outdoor pots and terra-cotta
- New hammock
- Like new Yamaha Clavinova digital piano
- Decades of accumulation!
SALE INCLUDES A LARGE MIXTURE OF THINGS -- TOO MUCH TO LIST AND PHOTOGRAPH!
COME SEE US THIS WEEKEND!
NEED TO HAVE A SALE? LOOKING FOR A LIQUIDATOR?
GET THE BEST IN NEW ORLEANS!
CALL JONATHAN TODAY TO DISCUSS THE PROCESS
To receive e-mail notifications of upcoming sale events, please send an e-mail request to
Be sure to LIKE US on FACEBOOK for other previews and updates of sale events.