MASSIVE FOUR DAY LIVING ESTATE SALE
MRS. MARTHA WATKINS BOURLAND
AT THE HISTORIC "WATKINS HILL" CA. 1890
205 SOUTH FRANKLIN STREET
ABERDEEN, MISSISSIPPI 39730
SALE BEGINS ON THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 30 THRU SUNDAY, DECEMBER 3 -9AM TO 5PM DAILY
It'll be sunny (we hope)! Temp 3134.
THERE IS OVER 5000 SQUARE FEET OF TREASURES AND THOUSANDS OF ITEMS TO BE SOLD IN THIS HISTORIC BEAUTY THE WATKINS FAMILY HAS CALLED THEIR FAMILY HOME SINCE 1919. A PARTIAL LISTING OF ITEMS TO BE SOLD INCLUDE:
-Antebellum, Victorian & Modern Furnishings
-Tons Of Glassware Of All Kinds
-Several Old Cotton Baskets
-Misc Hunting Items
-Books, Including Many Rare Ones On Both Mississippi & American History
-Half Tester Beds
-Original Artwork Both Oil On Canvas, & Oil On Board
-Silver Plated Items
-Several Sets Of China
-Tons Of Mississippi History
-Thousands Of Items and Pieces of Southern Finery
KEEP A EYE IN LOCAL PAPERS, YARD SIGNS, & ESTATESALES.NET
The family of Martha Bourland Watkins will be offering for sale the contents of the home that has been the seat of their family in Aberdeen, Mississippi since 1920. This magnificent two story Aberdeen historic beauty is located at 205 South Franklin Street, Aberdeen, Mississippi 39730 on Aberdeen's Victorian gateway "Silk Stocking Row". The home affectionately known by the family as "Watkins Hill" was built in 1897. The Watkins Family were large plantation owners in the Aberdeen area prior to the Civil War. They purchased this stately home in 1919 and moved into the bustling Southern city of Aberdeen. The home was built in 1897 by Dr. Robert Wendall. It is not to be confused with an earlier house on the same lot that was built in the early 1870's. That house was moved to the back of the lot and faced Matubba Street. The house was under construction in 1898 in the Queen Ann Style by Dr. Robert Wendell. Construction was suspended following the death of Dr. Wendell's wife. A partially completed house was sold at foreclosure sale to the Lusk family who subsequently sold it to Mrs. Susan Gibson, sister of William Bismark Watkins. In 1920, W.B. Watkins purchased the house from his sister and began extensive remodeling. The original Victorian features were meshed into a more spacious Prairie style to accommodate the large Watkins family. The present house has had only four owners prior to the present owner. 1. Dr. Wendell, the builder (1898); 2. Mrs. Mattie Jane Lusk wife of Pickett W. Lusk, who bought it at a foreclosure sale, 3. Mrs. Susan Gibson sister of 4. William Bismark Watkins (1920) & Robert & Martha Watkins (1957).
Mr.and Mrs. W. B. Watkins were the parents of Robert Watkins. When the Watkins purchased the house in 1924 an extensive remodeling was done and several rooms were added to accommodate their large family. The architectural design was changed from Victorian to American Foursquare, which was popular in the Post-Victorian era. The American Foursquare appeared during the first decade of the 20th century and its popularity lasted well into the 1920s. Because of its simplicity, it could provide a large amount of comfortable living space. This is to say nothing of the spacious attic under the hipped roof, and the basement.
This is copied from the Monroe County History Book Volume 1. It was written and published in 1988 and slightly amended.