A beautiful old Cleveland Heights home
Former Cleveland Orchestra member; musical, artistic, and world traveling family
Friday November 4 - Saturday November 5 - Sunday November 6
join us from 10 to 4 every day; numbers on Friday at around 9:30
:: Featured Items ::
It'll be sunny (we hope)! Temp 329.
- Steinway Model S grand piano - in high-gloss dark mahogany, 75 years young. This very rare find has spent more than a half century being pampered in the climate controlled music room of this Cleveland Orchestra member's home. Outstanding in every way, and with documented history graciously provided by Steinway & Sons. This piano has accompanied many, many practice sessions for Cleveland Orchestra members and ensembles of all types.
A very rare find, this beautiful dark mahogany gloss lacquer finish Model S (what Steinway calls a "New York Grand") is serial #306436. Built and delivered in early 1941, it has matured to a spectacular sound. This piano is accompanied by a documented history provided by Steinway & Sons (copy attached) and has been in the same climate controlled music room of this Cleveland Orchestra member's home for many decades. It has been regularly tuned (again a few weeks ago), and has been serviced only with Steinway parts. The most recent major parts service needed was to replace the bass dampers in 1998. It was properly restrung many years ago. The pin block is solid and original, the oversize tuning pegs are in excellent condition, it has excellent tuning stability, and the ivories are nearly perfect (there is a small nick to the very last key [C, or key 88, if you're counting]). If you look closely, there is very light surface scratching (none through to the wood) in a few places. This is a valuable instrument in the home of professional musicians, and has always been treated as such.
Included is the rarely-seen original matching Steinway bench delivered with this piano, also in dark mahogany. The bench still has the original delivery customer's name underneath as chalked there by the Steinway factory 75 years ago.
This spectacular Steinway piano literally needs nothing more than a new home.
- Sailboat - "Mirror" dinghy (UK) - mahogany
This issue - November 2016 Yachting World magazine cover story, "50 Yachts That Changed the Way We Sail" honors the Mirror as 7th on the list (alongside a 1911 25 foot racer, the Castorama trimaran, and 1934's Endeavor; all worth many millions). Since its introduction at the London Boat Show in 1963, over 70,000 have been built worldwide. Friendly to beginning and experienced sailors alike, the Mirror is still somewhat uncommon in the United States. This wood kit was imported from England and (meticulously) built right here by the owner in 1974. Always garage-kept and covered. This legendary London Daily Mirror boat, here in mahogany marine ply, includes a proper JTI trailer, and is all in excellent, seaworthy condition. This boat has been in the water recently, has a 2015 tag, and sails beautifully. For more information about this groundbreaking sailboat, see articles about the Mirror dingy on YachtingWorld.com, Wikipedia, and UKMirrorSailing.com... MirrorSailing.com is one home of the competitive side. Like the Steinway, this Mirror is an example of world-class design, craftsmanship and quality. It needs only a little car with a trailer hitch and new home.
- Henning Koppel for Georg Jensen (Denmark) staved teak ice bucket with original tongs
This spectacular staved teak ice bucket is a rare and definitive mid-century Henning Koppel design, with three circles -- lid and sides -- unifying the piece. Probably never used. Lined with waterproof and insulating black plastic, all unmarked. Also includes the original, rarely seen, ice tongs. 10.5" high, 8.5" diameter. Marked clearly Georg Jensen, Henning Koppel, and Made in Denmark. Probably the nicest Henning Koppel ice bucket available anywhere, and truly a museum-quality collector's piece.
- Hermes 3000 typewriter (Paillard, Switzerland)
Why are we featuring a... typewriter? Because the Hermes 3000 is a Unicorn; the mythical perfect typewriter. With production beginning in 1958, the Swiss-built Hermes 3000 has long been considered nothing less than the finest portable typewriter ever made. It is also one of the most sophisticated typewriters ever made, with multiple on-the-fly adjustments for touch, ribbon strike location, and more. Jack Kerouac used one, and so do many of today's writers. This is a clean, outstanding example of this rare, legendary Swiss-made typewriter in excellent operating condition, with an excellent original case, cleaning tools and manuals. Would be the centerpiece of any typewriter collection. Many writers and screenwriters stand by their Hermes 3000's : Stephen Fry, Tom Hanks, Larry McMurtry (who thanked his Hermes 3000 at the Golden Globes), Sylvia Plath, and many others. Now you know.
:: Artwork, Antiques, Collectibles, and ... ::
- Curtis Jere (aka Freiler [-2013] and Fels [-2008]) - very large brass and copper landscape wall sculpture - signed. These large statement pieces by Jere define mid-century metal wall sculpture. The best pieces, and this is certainly one, are being used by the most exclusive decorators and properties worldwide. Featured in Elle, Architectural Digest, WSJ, the New York Times, and other publications. Most Jere pieces are fairly simplistic in their design and execution, but this landscape work features trees, mountains, waterfalls and pools, all spectacularly three-dimensional. It is intricately designed, dimensionally very detailed, and attention-getting. We haven't disturbed it's patina, but it can be cleaned if you desire. Purchased new by the owners. This piece is quite heavy and easily damaged, please bring assistance.
- Auguste Louis Lepere (France, 1849-1919) - two woodcut prints, signed and numbered by the artist, with provenance from Tregoning. Son of renowned sculptor Francois Lepere, Auguste began working for Burn Smeeton when he was just 13 years old. By the mid 1870's, Lepere was considered Europe's finest printmaker, leading the revival of wood engraving in Europe. He is credited with innovations such as combining etching and engraving on the same print, and was one of the first artists to experiment with colored paper, often having his own paper made (as in the case of these prints). In later years, he produced almost exclusively wood engravings, supplying designs and cuts for French, English and American magazines: Le Monde Illustrée, La Revue Illustrée, Black and White, Harper’s and Scribner's. Lepere's works are found in every major collection worldwide -- our Cleveland Museum of Art owns a catalog of over 300!
- Quai St. Martin (undated) - etching on antique laid paper, pencil signed, stamped RWH Cardiff, appraised as "an excellent impression"; approx. 6"x10"
- Le Mendant (1895) - woodcut on Japon paper, pencil signed & numbered 29 of 30, impression approx. 9"x11"
- Jorge L. Sicre (1958-) - two works, signed - A well-known Cuban-American painter with works in collections worldwide, Sicre was born in Havana and grew up in Cleveland.
- Sabal Palm Horse [Unicorn] (1981) - serigraph, signed and numbered; signed and titled again on the reverse
- Untitled cubist nude (1980) - etching, signed and labeled "proof"; slight outer edge stain from mounting tape
- Karin Kirulis - three stunning cast bronze pieces (strongly recalling Giacometti) from her "Animal Form" series. Employing the lost-wax bronze casting method, each Kirulis creation is unique. She describes her work : "The animal forms, though they resemble deer, horses, and others, are not intended to be representational. They are more my jumping off point where one might find a part of ourselves, inklings of their beginnings, primordial fears and strengths." Strong yet seemingly fragile, her pieces, "explore negative and positive space". Kirulis bronze installations are found in many major private and corporate collections worldwide, including McDonald's and United Airlines.
- Animal Form (largest) - 1999, original bronze, engraved signed and dated, with custom base for stability
- Animal Form #53 (mid size) - 1999, original bronze, engraved signed and dated
- Animal Form (smallest) - 1999, original bronze, engraved signed and dated
- Antique Ansonia Don Juan figural mantle clock - (ca. 1894-1895) 8-day key-wound mechanism, open escapement, double sunk porcelain dial with very small chip at bottom right; half hour and hourly chime strike, Don Juan figure is complete with sword; clock is missing back door, includes key; runs (fast, simple adjustment) and chimes, but could stand a cleaning, light service, and cosmetic detailing (or leave the patina); 22" high, 19.5" wide. Extremely heavy.
- Hiroshige Ando (1797-1858) - The Fifty-Three Stages of the Tokaido, large woodblock folio set, 1950's serigraph print set in cloth bound presentation box. The leading landscape artist of his day, Ando's classic 53 stages of the Tokaido Highway was done in 1834. This high quality complete unbound sheet folio was purchased by the owner in Japan approximately 60 years ago; the first time it was opened was for these photos.
- Albrecht Durer (1471-1858) - The Life of the Virgin - 20 plates - heavy brown board loose leaf folio, published by the Cleveland Museum of Art in 1959 - small quarto facimilie prints from woodcuts in the Museum's collection; this folio has never been opened except for these pictures; very clean - no edge wear, no tears, no staining or foxing
- The Seven Holy Sacraments - large print, European, late 1800's, superb color with hand-painted gold leaf highlights; titled in French, German, English, Spanish; beautifully mounted, matted and framed; slight age chipping at bottom edge
- Eiichi Kotozuka (Japan, 1906-1982) - Cherry Blossoms - woodblock print, signed, still in protective Uchida Art gallery box with gallery and artist paperwork, purchased in Kyoto in the 1960's, unframed, crisp, clean and beautiful
- Melissa Johnson - Abstract - signed original - oil, cold wax and copper on card - approx 4"x4", unframed
- Marion Hersh (active 1950's) - geometric watercolor on paper (unframed), signed
- Edward Lee - Magic Pond I, Magic Pond II - serigraph pair, signed and numbered
- Lucille Edel (d. approx. 1990) - two large watercolor floral scenes - Lucille Edel was the wife of cellist Oliver Edel
- Virginia Lynn Anderson - Emergence, painted silk, mounted and framed under glass, initialed in lower left
- Antique Japanese porcelain kabuki doll, kept protected in clear lucite box
- Moira knife by KJ Ericcson - beautiful vintage, classic Scandinavian-style birch-handled dagger point fixed blade hunting knife made in Sweden, with steel blade guard and original stamped leather belt sheath; beautiful condition, no stains or marks, this piece is more art than knife, so it's in this section
- Osugiwarbe Cedar Dolls - Akita cedar folk handicraft dolls, set of three, new, in original box
- Kabuto Samurai helmet models - two complete Samuari helmet models on stands, purchased in Japan 1950's
- Esterbrook fountain pen - mid-century fountain pen and base set in pale jade green, excellent condition
- Japanese brocade scrolls Esterbrook fountain pen
- JEWELRY - This sale has an excellent selection of jewelry, gold, sterling, jade, etc. and costume
- Many, many more pieces of art and accessories, many are from Japan, this musician's favorite destination
:: Music and instruments and musician stuff, and more ... ::
- Original "large Advent" loudspeakers - USA made, walnut enclosures - considered Henry Kloss' masterpiece. Advents have been part of the music scene, from rock to classical, ever since. One tweeter dome was dented many years ago when the protective mesh came loose, and should be replaced. All work great. Although they are close in serial numbers, one cabinet has a notably lighter walnut finish than we usually see with Large Advents.
- Lafayette Criterion 50A loudspeakers - vintage 11x19x9 acoustic suspension - no crossover : 8" Alnico driver, 3-1/2" dome tweeter w/lo-cut cap, 55-19kHz - USA made, cabinets in nice condition - terrific vintage large bookshelf speakers, the unbeatable Alnico drivers work full-range, aided by tweeters. One cabinet is missing edge trim from the grillcloth.
- Grundig Majestic Stereo Console radio / turntable - SO 150U - in superb condition, unmarked beautiful (dark walnut?) wood, obviously barely used, super clean inside and out, piano key controls, superhet tuner, everything works beautifully except turntable (16/33/45/78, which shows zero wear and was probably never used) turns slowly. 11-tube EL95 based tube amplifier - Radio is AM/FM/shortwave Euro/etc. - find a Sams 548-6 and have at it - aux input for tape deck - 5 speakers : 2 electrostatic tweeters and left/right/center full-range - cost over $500 in 1961
- Tandberg 6X reel-to-reel tape deck - 4-head half-track stereo tape deck in teak case with manuals (Denmark; approx. 1966). Needs internal drive belts replaced. This is the same tape deck owned and favored by Louis Armstrong, the White House Oval Office, and many others. With this deck, Tandberg introduced the cross-field head, which produced a much wider frequency response than previously possible. The 6X with its classic Danish Modern style, has also won several design awards. Made in Denmark.
- Marantz PMD221 professional portable cassette recorder - if you're into cassette tapes again, this 3-head 2-track professional mono cassette unit comes with Marantz AC adapter or runs from batteries. Advanced professional features: 2 speeds, lo/hi cut filters, +/- 20% (octave) pitch control, a large VU meter, manual or auto level control, internal and/or external speakers, internal and/or external microphones, adjustable microphone attenuation, ANC type selection, tape selector, and other advanced features such as remote recording control and cuing, memory rewind, auto replay of tape sections, telephone input/output, headphone section, pre-tape end alarm, and more via a variety of RCA input/output connections. Tested and works great. With quick-release shoulder strap and pristine protective case which folds to aid either portable or fixed location recording situations. Yet it's only 2"x9"x7" and weighs three pounds.
- Zenith Model S40191 vintage wood case tube radio - approx. 1954, AM/FM table radio, classic smooth styling, works extremely well. With one full-range speaker and two electrostatic tweeters with tone control, this is by far one of Zenith's better table radios, and a great sounding radio even today. Switchable phono input in rear. 15"x10"x8".
- Greco Model 122 Guitar - 6-string nylon string classical guitar in perfect condition, by Goya, with soft shell case. A rare early 1970's guitar, serial #18172. Honey colored spruce top, rosewood back and sides, marquetry inlaid rosewood headpiece and bridge, rosewood fingerboard, bound top and back, gold plated engraved machine heads with white rollers. No country of origin, but these better Grecos were usually made in Japan.
- Franz metronome - professional electric metronome, art deco design in brown bakelite, model LM-4, works great
- Violin cases - two professional traveling violin cases, one with an additional outer cover
- Violin string cases - two professional string cases
- Viola case - very large, very heavy professional traveling viola case
- CDs and DVDs - several hundred covering every genre, type, description
- Reel-to-reel tapes - DOZENS of reel-to-reel tapes, classical music, Cleveland Orchestra, etc.
- Many, many music stands - (1) a large, heavy metal Hamilton professional performance music stand, with light; (2) a lightweight teak and plastic tripod stand from Sweden; (3) a large, antique wooden music stand, with heavy brass extension hardware - unique lyre-shaped back, hand-painted designs; (4) many, many more collapsible portable music stands, lamps and accessories
:: Silverware, flatware, glassware, dishware, kitchenware, serving pieces ::
- Henning Koppel for Georg Jensen - see featured description above - staved teak ice bucket, collector quality
- Pierre Forsell - mid-century 18/8 conical stainless steel salt and pepper shakers
- Ultima Thule cordial glasses - Iittala, made in Finland - set of six, new, in original presentation box -- Ultima Thule is the best known design by Tapio Wirkkala (1915-1985), inspired by the melting ice he saw in Lapland
- Rainbow - shaped teak round 10" nut bowl with nutcracker and picks, Sweden
- Holmes & Edwards "Romance" pattern - flatware (1952-1959) - service for 8 - NEW, beautiful, unused, 76-piece inlaid silver plate flatware set - mid-century design wood and leather trimmed side table box
- Dansk Variation V pattern - JHQ/Korea 18/8 (chrome/nickel) high quality stainless flatware - service for 8 - new, unused - designed by Jens H. Quistgaard for Dansk, this beautiful brushed stainless steel flatware set is complete, new and unused - each setting includes 3-tine salad and dinner forks, knife, spoon and soup spoon - in original presentation box
- Oneida "Community" pattern - stainless flatware, beautiful, unused, 8 complete place settings with serving pieces in original multi-tier drawer box
- Peter Hewitt - beautiful "ribbon vase", created for New York's Museum of Modern Art
- Solid brass - mortar and pestil, tall mideastern pepper corn grinder
- National Bread Bakery breadmaker
:: Furniture, lamps, etc., - MUCH MID-CENTURY ::
- Sideboard with extending wing top - mid-century style maple server sidebar, open sides, center door
- Hanging kitchen lamp - mid-century brass and glass pull-down extending, hanging lamp
- Desk lamps and task lamps - many mid-century style desk lamps; Hi-Lite Model 340 gooseneck lamp, bronze brown texture paint; large Flexo flourescent desk lamp; many others
- Dazor 2008 - "flying saucer" desk lamp (1952-1957) in exceptional condition, no missing parts, very clean : weighted steel base, 13" saucer, adjustable brass arm, twist-turn on/off switch, original cord
- Black leather sleeper couch
- Elna Transforma sewing machine - vintage portable sewing machine, made in Switzerland, absolutely complete with all rare accessories; clean, in original metal case with original paperwork and manuals; works great
- Steamer trunk - wood, complete, with all hardware
- Solid Dark Oak Kneehole Desk - vintage 6-drawer, 2-pullout desk in excellent condition, finished all around
- Automex - atomic clock
- Dining table set - maple table with 2 leaves, 5 upholstered cane back chairs
- Bedroom Set - queen size pedestal bed from In House, with drawers and headboard storage
- Bedroom Set - beautiful rock maple, pair of twin beds, 4-drawer bureau, dresser with mirror - clean, mid-century design
- Low Sideboard - antique, with 3 center drawers and side door storage
- Clothespin leg - metal and pressed glass side tables
- Metal 3-tier shelf - mid-century high style hi-fi table with ends turned up for holding records or magazines
- 5-bulb floor lamp - the only 5-bulb lamp we've ever seen! Useful when lighting a professional string ensemble.
- Many, many, many more floor lamps, table lamps, etc.
- Refrigerator - Frigidaire apartment-sized refrigerator - clean, works fine
- Filing Cabinets - five two-drawer metal filing cabinets - just enough to file your sheet music, for example
- Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers and Air Conditioners - of every type and description - as you might expect in a home filled with professional musical instruments, there were multiple units for virtually every room in the house
:: Trains, planes, toys and games, and miscellaneous ... ::
- Complete 4'x6' HO model railroad - fully landscaped, complete, operational layout with many structures (separate, all lighted, all included with the layout) and wonderfully detailed; just doesn't include the locomotives and cars
- HO model railroad locomotives and cars - most are meticulously packed away in their original boxes with original assembly instructions - freight and passenger train. Mostly Athearn. See pictures for details.
- Tim Mee Laser Ray #1150 Pistol - new in box, sight tear to box
- Samurai bokken - solid wood Samurai bokken (training sword, or practice sword)
- Meade reflector telescope - 1000mm f/11 lens; D=90mm F=1000mm; serial 905870; the telescope and accessories are still in the original flight case, used only a few times; in excellent condition
- Playboy Magazine - January 1987, new in wrapper - special Holiday Anniversary Issue, Jane Seymour, Marilyn Monroe
- Ping-pong Table - an old school, full size table - very heavy, straight and true composite board table on heavy aluminum legs; a 2 piece table, but it does not fold, must be lightly disassembled for transport
- Camping Equipment - Original ST7000 butane gas stove (new) with 3 extra canisters; several fishing rods and reels; Coleman lanterns; WWII canteens, mess kits and equipment; many other camping tools and lots of equipment
- Garcia rods and reels - several
- Bushnell binoculars - Sportview 7x35, coated optics, wide angle, 500' at 1000 yards; great all-around, with original case
- Cross-Country skis and poles - two complete sets: Trak nowax 190cm
:: Tools and such ::
- DeWalt 7730 powershop radial arm saw - built into table with dust collector
- Power Tools, Hand Tools - Scroll saw, 1/2" drive Craftsman drill, many other power tools and hand tool
- YARD Tools and equipment - Lawn Boy mulching mower, wheelbarrow, spreader, rakes, shovels, etc., etc.
- Workbenches - several, all with drawers and enclosed storage
- MANY other hand tools, power tools, workbenches with drawers, hardware and storage cubbies
Much kitchen and small appliances