Lifelong collection of family treasures includes many unique and scarce items such as a vast collection of nearly 2,500 Antiquarian books. The books date primarily from the 1860's to the 1930's. Our client obtained the collection from the estates of American financier, banker, and railroad magnate Henry B. Hollins (1854 - 1938) and one of his sons, Henry B. Hollins, Jr. upon purchasing the home of HBH, Jr. in East Islip, New York on Long Island. It is a fabulous collection and it is too large to take pictures of all titles.
The book collection includes many scarce copies including very low-numbered Limited Editions and Private Printings that are nearly one-of-a-kind. Please see photographs for more detail of this magnificent library. Notable titles include:
- Catalogue of the Morgan Collection of Chinese Porcelain, 1904. 1 of 250 impressions commissioned by J. Pierpont Morgan.
- To Galapagos on the Ara. Documenting a pleasure cruise and scientific expedition by William K. Vanderbilt Jr. in 1926. Private printing of 900 impressions. This copy is 1 of 500 that is leather bound. Fabulous color plates and B&W photographs. Inscribed to H.B. Hollins, Jr. and signed by the author.
- A Trip Through Italy, Sicily, Tunisia, and Southern France by William K. Vanderbilt, Jr. Privately Printed in 1918. A motor trip by auto. Fantastic!
- British Essayists with Prefaces, Historical and Bibliographical and a General Index in Forty Five Volumes, 1803. A complete set.
- Two Volume Bound Collection of Country Life Illustrated weekly magazine for the year 1899. Chronicaling fox hunting, falconry, pheasant hunting, etc. in the English Countryside by nobility and the elite.
- Roundabout Dining Club (NYC) 1877 - 1913. Privately Printed of 50 copies.
- Large collection of Children's Books from the late 1800's and early 1900's.
- Leather Bound edition of New York Times photo graveurs from the Great War in 1917.
- So many First Editions. Travel, Art, History, Architecture, and so much more.
In addition, the sale includes a lifelong collection of family treasures of all kinds.
- Antique Louis Vuitton Travel Trunk of H. B. Hollins. 24" W x 20 1/2" H x 16 1/2" D. Two other vintage steamer trunks.
- Sterling Silver and Silverplate including an antique Tiffany Sterling Silver Vanity Set in original leather travel case.
- Antique furniture. Lamps, coffee tables, end tables, etc. Many Chandeliers.
- Bedroom sets. Living Room and Dining Room Furniture.
- Antique Durkopp sewing machine. Vintage Sewing machines.
- Circa 1930's Mac Gregor Boxing Gloves and Leather Football Helmet.
- Two World War I era Navy Uniforms.
- Varied Collection of PAN AM Airlines logoed items including flags, Silverware, Trays, and more.
- Camel Saddle from United Arab Republic. Assembly required!
- Antique furniture that would be great for a restoration project. Armoir, Sleigh bed, cabinets, etc.
It'll be sunny (we hope)! Temp 3136.
Please check back regularly as new photographs and descriptions will be added right up until the day of the sale.