Last Updated: June 24, 2021
What types of information do we collect?
Vintage Software collects the following categories of information about Service users, including where it acts solely as the platform for third-party sellers and advertisers:
- Identifiers and Contact Information You Provide. We collect information when you voluntarily provide it through the Service, including as part of registering for an account, signing up for emails, or making a purchase. This information may include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, photo, user ID, and password. Further, the Service allows for non-public messages between users, which may be stored and processed by Vintage Software and will be accessible to recipients of the messages.
- Transaction and Payment Information. If you make a purchase through the Service (including through payment processors), we will collect your order, payment, and shipping information, such as your credit card number, expiration date, CVV code, billing address, and shipping address, to process and fulfill your orders. Additionally, when you click on product links or place items in your shopping cart, we may collect commercial information about your shopping preferences and consuming history and tendencies. If you shop for sales through the Service, you will be redirected to the Third-Party Platform offering the sale or providing the listing. If you make a purchase or bid through the Marketplace on the Service, you are entering into a contract with the respective seller or lister.
- Internet, Device, and Network Activity Information. When you use the Service, we automatically gather information made available by your web browser, internet service provider, and device (such as your computer, phone, tablet, or other device), depending on your settings for each. For example, we may collect your IP address, information about the operating system or type of device used, the device ID associated with your device, the date and time you access the Service, and your log in attempts. We may also collect information about your browsing and search history and information regarding your interaction with a particular website, application, or advertisement, including the Service; and we may collect information regarding the websites, applications, or advertisements you visited immediately before and after your use of the Service.
- Geolocation Information. We may collect your approximate location from your IP address and if you provide your zip code or address.
- Public Content. We may collect public content ("Public Content"), such as when you post a review about our Website. Once you submit Public Content, neither you nor Company can control how it may be copied, shared, or used by third parties, even if you and/or Company later delete such Public Content. Accordingly, you should carefully consider what personal information you choose to include within your Public Content.
- Social Media Account Data. We may collect your account information for third party social media accounts when you access the Service in connection with those accounts.
- Other Information. We may collect other information from you, such as when you request assistance through customer service, or when you voluntarily subscribe to newsletters or reminders. You will always be asked for your consent in advance of providing such other information. Further, we may collect protected class information, such as your gender or age, including if that information is ascertainable from your use of the Service.
How and when do we collect information about you?
We gather the types of information referenced above through the following sources and means:
- When you or others provide information through the Service. We collect information you provide, including when you make a purchase, "favorite" a listed item, create an account, sign up for emails, or save payment preferences. We may also collect information from Third Party Platforms and companies that use the Service. For example, a third-party advertiser may upload an email list for providing information about estate sales where Company acts as the platform for the respective company.
- When you communicate with us or through the Service. We collect information from your communications, such as when you email us, contact customer service, or communicate via social media, and when you communicate with others over the Service.
- Public sources. We may supplement the information you provide with additional information gathered from public sources or from third parties (e.g., consumer reporting agencies) who may lawfully provide this information to Vintage Software.
- Through social media. We collect information when you access the Service in connection with your third-party social media account.
- Third party cookies and advertising. Vintage Software uses third parties for providing advertising which helps financially support the Service. In addition to these purposes, Google, Inc. ("Google") uses third-party cookies to serve online interest-based advertisements on EstateSales.NET. As an important example, Google uses a cookie known as "DoubleClick" to enable both Google and Google's third-party marketing partners to serve advertisements to you based on information gathered during your use of the Service or your visit to other websites and services. Vintage Software may advertise on other Third-Party Websites to you after you access the Service. We and third-party marketing partners, including without limitation Google, may use first party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie), third party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie), and web beacons (such as the Facebook conversion tracking pixel), including across multiple devices, to inform, optimize, and serve advertisements to you based on your use of the Service. This practice is commonly known as retargeting or remarketing (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_retargeting).
- Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a tool that helps website and app owners to understand how their visitors engage with their properties. We use Google Analytics to collect usage data, analyze how users use the Website, and provide advertisements to you on other websites. For more information about how to opt out of this practice, visit the Google Analytics Opt-Out Add On page.
- From third parties. In addition to third-party use of the Service, described above, certain third parties may place cookies and pixels on our website, and these companies may use that data to show you more relevant advertisements and promotions. You can learn more about your ability to control privacy settings at these companies' websites, which include but are not limited to Facebook/Instagram, Pinterest, and Google/YouTube. We may also collect transaction and payment information as well as other personal information from service providers (such as payment processors and shipping providers) as is necessary to complete transactions.
How do we use your information?
Vintage Software may use the information identified above for certain "business purposes" that are necessary to provide the Service and for certain "commercial purposes," meaning a use that advances our business interests, such as marketing the Service.
Importantly, when you provide your name along with contact and billing information, which may include sensitive personal information such as your credit card number to make a purchase through the Service, we only use and disclose that information as necessary and reasonably expected to provide the products or services requested by you.
The following are the business purposes for which we may use your information:
- To process and fulfill your orders, including any related requests.
- To personalize your user experience, such as by using cookies to allow you to set personal preferences when using the Service, and to make it so you don't have to re-enter the same information when you visit our website several times in a short timeframe.
- To improve our Website and Service, including by considering analytics, demographics, and user feedback to improve or repair the website.
- To secure our Service and related purposes, such as by detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and identifying and prosecuting those responsible for that activity.
The following are the commercial purposes for which we may use your information:
To advertise to you, for example, using information gathered through cookies and web beacons, including those placed by third parties, to deliver advertisements specific to your personal interests. You can learn more about retargeting practices, including how to revoke your consent, by visiting these websites or contacting us:
- To advertise public content to others, such as by sharing your reviews about us.
We may also use your information, combined with that of other users, to create deidentified "Aggregate Information," which is statistical information about all users or a subset thereof and is pseudonymized and deidentified, i.e., cannot be used to identify or relate back to you. Aggregate Information may be used by Company for the purposes listed above. We may also use Aggregate Information to develop use cases that compare average industry trends.
In other words, we process your data when necessary to perform our responsibilities under a contract with you (e.g., providing and processing payments for the products you have ordered), if we need to comply with a legal obligation, if necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests unless they are overridden by your interests or rights, to protect the vital interests of users, or when we have your consent to do so, which you may withdraw by contacting us as outlined below.
How do we disclose your information?
Except under the following categories of circumstances, Vintage Software will not disclose your information.
- Disclosure in Connection with Service. Vintage Software discloses information to those necessary in providing the Service, including without limitation those who perform technical, administrative, and data processing tasks such as hosting, billing, customer support, marketing, fulfillment, data storage, and security, and with Third Party Platforms to the extent you make a purchase of or bid on third-party offers and listings.
- Social Media. Vintage Software may disclose your information and your use of the Service on social media platforms. Vintage Software sends your information through the APIs of social media platforms you authorize, in compliance with all applicable laws and the applicable platforms' privacy policies in place when your information is sent.
- By Law or to Protect Rights. Vintage Software discloses information when required to do so by law, in response to a subpoena or court order, or when Vintage Software believes in its sole discretion that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Vintage Software, third parties, or the public.
- Unpaid Accounts. If you fail to pay any balance owed to Vintage Software in consideration of the provision of the Service, Vintage Software may, as permitted by law, report your information, including without limitation your unpaid balance, to consumer credit reporting services, collection agencies, and others.
- Advertising Partners. We may disclose information as needed to advertising partners. For example, we may share information gathered through cookies and tracking tools to allow a third party to advertise our products to you after you leave our website.
- Other Users. We may share your Public Content, such as reviews and comments about the Service and our products, including by reposting your reviews in our advertising, and through our social media accounts.
Do we sell your information to others?
How do we protect your information?
We maintain safeguards to protect the confidentiality and security of information transmitted to us. However, no data transmission over the internet can be 100% secure. As a result, to the extent permitted by law, we do not guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit through use of the Service, and you do so at your own risk. The security of your personal information also depends on you. You should protect and refrain from sharing your sensitive personal information and immediately notify us or impacted third parties of any suspected data breach. Further, you should review the practices and policies of Third-Party Platforms used.
How long do we keep your information?
Do we transfer your information to a different country?
When visiting our website or using the Service, your connection will be through and to servers located in the United States, and all information you provide will be processed and securely maintained in our web servers and internal systems located within the United States. By using the Service, you authorize and consent to the transfer of personal data to the United States and its storage and use as specified above when you provide such information to us.
Under certain privacy legislation, such as the CCPA or analogous laws, which may apply to you, you may request to correct, amend, access, or delete information. We will not discriminate against you for making a privacy request or asserting your privacy rights. To protect your privacy and security, we may take reasonable steps to help verify your identity before granting your request. We may also take steps to verify any authorized agent making a request on your behalf.
Process for Making a Request
To make a privacy request regarding your personal information, please contact us as outlined below with your name and either your email address or physical address associated with your use of the Service. If you are making a privacy request through an authorized agent, please also provide the agent's name and email address and statement of authorization. If we need additional information to verify your identity or process your request, we will promptly respond to you. Under certain privacy laws, consumers have specific privacy rights, for example as outlined below.
California residents have the following rights under California privacy laws:
- Right to access and correct your personal information;
- Right to request disclosure of the categories of information collected about you, the categories of sources from which the information is collected, the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling information, the categories of third parties with whom we share your information, and specific pieces of information we have collected about you.
- Right to opt out of certain privacy practices, including any sale of information;
- Right to request deletion of personal information collected about you; and
- Right to no discriminatory treatment (and Company will not discriminate against you, for example by charging you a different price, for exercising your rights).
In addition, under California's "Shine the Light" law, California residents who provide information to the Website may request certain information regarding our disclosure of your information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Consumers under other laws have the right to request that Company not sell their personal information for monetary consideration to certain other parties. This right applies even if their personal information is not currently being sold. If you wish to make a request, please contact us.
European Economic Area Residents
Residents of the European Economic Area have the right to access information we hold about you and to ask that your information be corrected, updated, or erased, and the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing of your information. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the data privacy authority where you live, see e.g., this website.
How do we protect the privacy of children?
Vintage Software does not knowingly collect any personal information about children under the age of 13. If we obtain actual knowledge that we have collected such information, that information will be immediately deleted from our database. Because we do not collect such information, we have no such information to use or to disclose to third parties.
How can you receive and opt-out from marketing communications from us?
Consent to receive electronic communications from other users.
Without limitation, by registering for the Service and/or by providing your name, email, postal or residential address, and/or phone number through the Service, you consent to receive electronic communications, including email, instant messages, video conferencing, and other personal messages from other users of the Service. Without limitation, these are some examples of when you could receive communications from other users:
- A Question is Asked. If you listed a sale or item on this Service, you may receive communications (questions) from other users of the Service.
- A Question is Responded to. If you asked a question, you may receive communications (answers) from other users of the Service responding to your question.
- A Request Form is Submitted. If you are trying to hire an estate sale company, you might submit your information to be distributed to estate sale companies in your area. The estate sale company will receive your personal information. You may receive communications from other users (estate sale companies) of the Service.
- A Request Form is Received. If you are an estate sale company, you might receive communications from other users of the Service trying to decide whether or not to hire you.
Links to third-party websites.
Do we respond to Do Not Track ("DNT") Signals?
DNT is a feature offered by some browsers which, when enabled, sends a signal to websites to request that your browsing is not tracked. We do not respond to DNT requests.